Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The lost art of letter writing: Gatsby to Daisy

My Dearest Daisy,

You must forgive me, my dear, for I am afraid I have never been good with words. Simply because words cannot express the love I feel for you, and no matter how I start this letter, I am fearful that it would never truly capture my feelings for you. I wish that we could be together forever, and I wish that our love could be a beacon of light that will guide the world out of its own chaotic nature. Day after day I spent hours hoping that by some miracle, things would go back to the way they once were, with you by my side.
I had been throwing wild parties as well, in the hopes that maybe one day you would decide to come for a visit. I realize now that this was a mistake, since these rowdy people do not know the meaning of the word "class".
Again, I must ask for your forgiveness. If I weren't gone for so long, you never would have married Tom. I know the way he treats you, it's the same way he treats everyone else, with comtempt. He's no good for you Daisy, you need to see that. I promise I will mend any wounds he might have inflicted upon you, both physical and mental.
The more I thought about my future, the more you kept appearing in my visions until one day, I realized I have no future unless you're with me. There is nothing more I can say now. I can write until my pen runs out of ink, but I will never truly express all the love for you in my heart. So now Daisy, I leave you, and I am eagerly awaiting your return into my life.

Love now and forever,
Jay Gatsby

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jay,
    There is no need for you to apologize. It was not in either of our hands to stop what was meant to happen.
    I also wish that we could go back to those good days of Louisville, Kentucky. However, wishing will get us no where. We have to face the reality sooner or later. I love you, just as much as you love me. I also have a family, Jay. I have a daughter, who I don't want split between Tom and I.
    Tom is my husband, despite his disloyalty. I know of his bad deeds, but have always thought that one day he will mend his ways back to me. I want to be honest with you, I never thought about you after marriage. Jordan brought you up that day and it was then, when all the memories flooded my mind. I really realized how I felt about you.
    I love you dearly Jay. I don't know what to do. I love you, but can't leave Tom and my daughter. I am caught in this web, and it just feels like there is no way out. I need some time to think this over Jay. I know that you will fill every last wound of mines, but I don't think it is right. I am sorry Jay.
    Love, Daisy

    ReplyDelete